Monday, July 28, 2008

Personal Chocolate Cake Recipe

I found this on KrisW's blog. I have been craving chocolate cake/brownies/frosting for a couple weeks now. Before you go blaming this on the pregnancy let me just say I always love chocolate and I always have to make my own baked desserts so as to avoid gluten. This leads me to waiting and dreaming about certain indulgences until I have the time and ingredients. So, yes, I've developed a pet peeve - "Oh, you're nesting!" "Must be the baby!" Noooo, actually I routinely organize and clean out my catalogs at work. I regularly have mild cravings for goodies or foods that I have to make for myself rather than purchase ready-made. Who doesn't? Anyway, I'm afraid I sound more irritated than I really am. When stuff like this is said I roll my eyes (to myself) and smile and laugh.


So here's that awesome recipe I tried out tonight:

5 MINUTE CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE

4 tablespoons cake flour (plain flour, not self-raising)
4 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons baking cocoa
1 egg
3 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons oil
3 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional)
a small splash of vanilla essence
1 coffee mug

Add dry ingredients to mug, and mix well
Add the egg and mix thoroughly.
Pour in the milk and oil and mix well.
Add the chocolate chips (if using) and vanilla essence, and mix again.

Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts. The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don’t be alarmed!

Allow to cool a little, and tip out onto a plate if desired.


My recommendations:

  • Add the chocolate chips and do so generously.
  • Stir right before you micro. I paused unnecessarily long and all the chips sank to the bottom.
  • Consistency is like bread pudding ... or so I imagine.
  • Yummy with ice cream :)
  • Be hungry or share. It was more than I expected and now I'm stuffed.
  • Spelt flour and almond milk subbed just fine. Next time I'll try carob powder.
  • Walnuts would be tasty. Maybe white chocolate chips, butterscotch, syrup on top...

1 comment:

Kurt N. said...

I found this by Googling "Personal Chocolate Cake" in a fit of craving sweets. It totally hit the spot. I had to substitute water for milk, but it worked out fine.

Thanks!